Monday, October 18, 2010

Sydney Ann


I've decided that I really need to actually post things on this blog now just as a way of documenting all the big and exciting events in our lives. I don't really keep a journal so this is kind of in place of that. Quite a few things have happened since my one and only post I wrote when Carter was four months old. For starters, we have one more child now. Sydney was born on Thursday, August 26th, 2010. The day before she was born a couple of my friends took me out to lunch to have one last girls day before the new baby came. We went to the Olive Garden and then to JoAnn's to look for some fabric. When I got home we just kind of relaxed since we didn't really have anything we needed to do that day. Lance was still home for the summer so we all just hung out at the house. I was feeling fine all day long and was feeling no different when we went to bed that night. At about 2:00 a.m. I woke up from a contraction. Nothing too strong, but big enough to wake me up. I tried to go back to sleep when I felt another contraction. I figured that I wasn't going to be sleeping, so I started timing the contractions. They were coming about every 10 minutes for 40 minutes or so. I thought that they might just be some more braxton hicks because I had been having contractions for the last 3-4 months of my pregnancy. So in order to try to find out if they were real I decided to get up and take a shower. Walking around usually made them stop, but this time getting up didn't do anything. My contractions were still coming consistently. I woke Lance up at around 3:30 and told him what was going on. We both got up and decided to start cleaning up a little bit just in case we needed to go to the hospital that night. I also packed my bag for the hospital. At about 5:30 they were coming every 3-5 minutes. Some friends of ours were going to watch Carter for us while we were at the hospital so we gave them a call. Cody came over and slept on the couch while Carter slept so we could go. I was so nervous about going to the hospital because I thought they were just going to send me home. Afterall, my contractins were not very painful at all, they were just consistent. We stopped at McDonalds and got a smoothie and some breakfast burritos before we headed to the hospital. We got to the labor and delivery floor at 6:20 a.m. I was seen by a nurse and she had me walk around for about 45 minutes to see if I was making progress. After 45 minutes of walking they decided that I was really in labor and I needed to stay. I was settled into my labor and delivery room by 9:30 that morning. My contractions still were not very painful so I was kind of surprised that they had me stay, but I wasn't complaining. I knew that I wanted to get an epidural so the nurse put me on the list to get one. The anesthesiologist had a c-section he had to be there for, so I had to wait until he was done with that to get mine. But still, I had no pain. At around 12:30 he came in to give me my epidural. After the epidural, the nurse started me on a little bit of pitocin to speed things up. Lance and I both tried to take a nap since we hadn't really slept at all the night before. Dr. Erickson came in about an hour or 2 later and said that he had to go to his office in Anthem that afternoon, but he would be back by about 4:00. So we just hung out and tried to rest until he got back. When he came back, he broke my water and just a few minutes later Sydney was born. The exact time was 4:52 p.m. She weighed 5 lbs. 7 oz. and was 19 inches long. She was about 3 weeks early. It was definately a lot different than my first experience. Soooo much easier! We are loving her to death and are so excited that she is here. Carter is loving his little sister too.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! You are back. That delivery sounds much better than Carters! Hope you guys are doing well and staying warm.

    ReplyDelete